There’s a lot to be said about maternity style, but who can look good if they aren’t comfortable to begin with? Underwear is the basic foundation of every outfit. With the changes your body is going through during pregnancy, you may find that your old underwear just aren’t stacking up anymore.
Why we need Maternity Underwear?
Maternity underwear are made specially to adapt to changes in your body size during pregnancy. These underwear will fit your growing bump, so they are more comfortable than your regular pair.
Types of Maternity Underwear
Just as there are several styles of regular underwear, maternity underwear come in different styles as well. Two important styles to note about maternity underwear are:
Over the bump- This style fits over your belly
Under the bump-This style is cut to fit under your belly but still stay in place
Benefits of Maternity Underwear
The obvious benefit is comfort. Wearing an item that was designed just for your pregnant body is always going to allow for better stretch and movement.
Most maternity underwear are made of breathable fabric such as cotton. Cotton underwear are recommended because they do not hold unnecessary moisture in.
Your regular underwear might be strained as you go through your pregnancy, especially during the later weeks. Stretched elastics will not provide support or comfort. Maternity underwear are designed to give you the support you need.
Why Choose Over The Bump Design
- Provide 360 support around tummy and waist
- Don’t want an exposed belly
- Want to prevent belly chaffing
- No rolling bunching or pinching
- Not restrictive or tight
- Have not stretched out after washing
- Adjustable button on the side to suit your belly size preference
Why Choose Under The Bump Design
- Prefer less visible underwear under clothing
- Like the look and feel of bikini style underwear
- Don’t want any additional “pressure” on your bump or possible irritation from fabric
- Intimate Portal Under The Bump Maternity Underwear
- Flattering shape under belly
When to Start Wearing Maternity Underwear
So when do you know it’s time to put away your old underwear and start wearing maternity underwear. The answer is simple; you can transition to maternity underwear at anytime. A few signs it may be time to ditch your old underwear:
- You’re uncomfortable (number 1 reason)
- Your current underwear is too snug
- Your current underwear is not low cut
- You want more coverage
You can generally buy maternity underwear in your current size. However, pay close attention to the manufacturer’s size chart before purchasing.
What you need to consider?
These days most underwear is made of breathable fabric and cotton is pretty much the standard choice. Cotton wicks away moisture and doesn’t trap heat. Other fabrics can create environments for yeast to thrive in.
This probably seems like a no brainer, but a maternity panty with a white or light colored crotch liner is a good idea. You’ll be able to notice any changes in discharge which can be a good clue as to whats going on down there, pregnancy or otherwise.
If visible panty lines really bother you, avoid styles with raised seams.
One style of maternity underwear won’t be right for every outfit. Just like regular underwear, textured fabric maternity underwear may show up under light weight clothing, Over the bump underwear may peek out from under non maternity jeans,
Care Tips for Maternity Underwear
- Try using hypoallergenic detergent or one that is fragrance free
- Use washing net / garment bag especially for the washer
- Skip Dryer as heat can break down the elastic sooner.
- Hang on a drying rack